Ariel Castro Facebook PHOTOS: Kidnapping Suspect Has Past Allegations of Domestic Abuse & Manipulation? VIDEO
Details continue to trickle in about suspected three-time kidnapper Ariel Castro and one revelation is that the 52-year-old former school bus driver has a history of domestic abuse allegations, among others.
Three abducted women missing for 10 years were locked up in the Cleveland, Ohio, home where Castro lived. They were rescued Monday after one of the victims, Amanda Berry, managed to escape and call 911. Castro was arraigned on kidnapping and rape charges Thursday morning.
Discovered interviews and court documents detail long-term, repeated allegations of Castro connected to manipulation and domestic abuse, according to The Los Angeles Times.
See Facebook photos here of Castro.
Allegations of abuse against Ariel Castro began in the early 1990s. Castro had three daughters and a son with Grimilda Figueroa between 1981 and 1990 and in 1993, Figueroa later said, Castro attacked her at their home on Seymour Avenue in Cleveland. The couple never married. Figueroa suffered a broken nose, broken ribs, a blood clot in her brain, two dislocated shoulders, and lost a tooth, according to a court petition she filed against Castro.
In 1994, A Cuyahoga County grand jury was to hear the abuse allegations in 1994, however, the case was dropped when Figueroa failed to testify. In a sworn statement she gave a decade later, Figueroa said Castro saw her on the day she was to testify and offered her money and a car if she did not tell the grand jury about his beatings.
"He also told me, 'You know what will happen to you if you do testify,' " Figueroa, who died last year, said in the statement. "I knew that he would find me and assault me again. ... I was unable to offer my testimony before the grand jury. I did not tell anyone about the threats."
In 1995 Figueroa developed a relationship with neighbor Fernando Colon. In 1997, Figueroa won full custody of her daughters Emily and Arlene and in 1998, she and Colon had a son.
Castro reportedly did not like the new found relationship between his ex-girlfriend and his neighbor. When police questioned Colon in 2004 about sexually abusing Castro's daughters, Colon and Figueroa thought the girls' father was manipulating them.
In August 2005, Figueroa requested a restraining order against Castro, saying he had threatened to kill her and her daughters three or four times through the course of the year.
Castro was ordered by the judge to be held in lieu of $8 million bail, $2 million for each count. No plea was entered on Thursday.